Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Cooking tips & advice for single guy?

My little brother who's been living on his own pretty much survive on take out %26amp; fast food. I'm trying to tell him to start saving money %26amp; eat healthier (he put on a little weight too) by eating in %26amp; cooking himself, but the only two things he can cook right now are fried eggs %26amp; heat up frozen pizza. I just need some hint %26amp; tips as to what suggestion or tips I can provide him as far as eating healthier %26amp; stop wasting money eating out. Thx...Cooking tips %26amp; advice for single guy?
I can understand where he's coming from. I remember when as an adult I thought I couldn't cook or just didn't know how, other than to heat up pizza or open a can of chili. What changed my life was getting a Better Homes %26amp; Gardens cookbook and my cousin getting me a subscription to Bon Appetit. I discovered I could cook!





I wouldn't recommend Bon Appetit anymore for a starter cook. Check out the Quick Cooking or Taste of Home magazines. They're simple and good and have nutritional information in them, and lots of tips and hints.





Another good series is the ';365'; series of cookbooks. I have 365 Great 20-Minute Recipes, 365 Ways To Cook Pasta, and 365 Easy One-Dish Meals.





Hopefully those will get him off to a great start in cooking!Cooking tips %26amp; advice for single guy?
Pasta is the easiet thing to make and not very expensive. noodles and a jar of sauce and it's good for you.


momof4
Well just remember anytime that you eat out it most likely isn't going to be to healthy. Salads, Taco Salad, Chicken, Turkey and stuff like that would be good. You might want to get him some cook books that might help as well. Or you can go to keyword on the computer and put in ';recipes'; and it will bring up alot of good stuff. I hope this helps. Have a great day!
here are a few quick easy recipes for someone whose NOT so kitchen friendly or tired/lazy





Steak( season it with wahtever he likes, and throw it on the oven on 400 degrees for 35 minutes)


linguinie %26amp; clam sauce (linguinie noodles, boil for 10 min- buy clam sause in the can red/white, heat in a pot for 8 minutes (until hot) and bam a nice pasta recipe. which will last for at least 2 days:;)


wing flings (tiny wingettes (about 30 in each bag) season, flour, throw them in a pot of oil, and you have friend chicken. or season and place them on a cookie sheet for 30 minutes and put them in the oven!
Buy him a crock pot. They are the best. He can make a big pot of chili, or stew with little or no effort. They even have some frozen crock pot meals in the stores - just add water.





Dump everything in before work, and when he gets home, dinner.





Also, get him some storage containers for the fridge or freezer. A pot of chili makes more than enough for 1 or 2 meals. But if he freezes it, then he can pull it out as needed. Saves money, and tastes better than any store bought chili!
I bought a little indoor grill and it really helped me out. They are quite affordable, too! I eat at home more now because it's just easier to cook, and the novelty of grilling is fun. The grill doesn't take skill either. You turn in on high (always) and put the food on it when it's hot. Turn the food over once. Done.





Here's a link to the one I got:


http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-EB-CC15-鈥?/a>





Once you have that fun little gadget, you can go grocery shopping!





The first thing you need is simple cajun seasoning (or seasoned salt). I just put it on everything I grill and it's easy.





Next, get meat:


From Costco/Sams I get bags of frozen chicken tenderloins. They defrost in 5 minutes (run cold water over them) and 2-3 is a good portion.


Besides that, any meat like Pork chops, steaks, etc, will work well. Just season the meat on both sides and toss it on the grill.





Canned Veggies and bread finish the healthy meal off.





This all takes 20-30 minutes.





Enjoy!
I'm a single man.Try Healthy choice dinner, Smart one, Lean cuisines. They are always on sale in super markets. They are microwavable. Try making sandwiches at home instead of fast food. I put together, turkey and cheese and romaine lettuce leaf with fat free salad dressing. I make instant Jello pudding for dessert after dinner. very easy to make.Bake a potato in the oven at 2 hours at 350 or 1 hour at 400. light sour cream chives, and smart balance. steam vegetable 15 - 25 minutes. Just get motivated once you get the hang of it he'll feel much better in his energy and moods.

No comments:

Post a Comment